Founded in 1946, Portland State University (PSU) is a public state urban university located in Oregon, United States. It is part of the Oregon University System.
Achievements and Rankings:
- Portland State University is placed among Tier 2 National Universities by US News (2012).
- The University was named by The Princeton Review as one of the best institutions in the country for undergraduate education. The education services company listed PSU in its guidebook "The Best 376 Colleges: 2012 Edition".
- In the U.S. News 2012 edition of Best Graduate Schools, several graduate programs at Portland State University are ranked within the top 50 of their category, including: Environmental Policy and Management (13th), City Management and Urban Policy (17th), Public Affairs (49th), Rehabilitation Counseling (23rd), Social Work (36th).
- It is the only higher education institution in Oregon to make the U.S. President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for Distinguished Community Service.
- Portland State University's community-based learning curriculum is among the best in the country according to U.S. News (2011). It is ranked among the top public institutions nationally under the section "Choosing a School: Programs to look for" in four categories: First-year Experience, Senior Capstone, Learning Communities and Service Learning.
- Ranked among the world's top 500 institutions in the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2010.
- PSU's Community Watershed Stewardship Program (in collaboration with the city of Portland) won the first-ever United States National Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter Partnership Award for Campus Community Collaboration.
- It was ranked 7th among “Up-and-Coming” national universities to watch by U.S. News in its “America's Best Colleges 2009” edition.
- The Princeton Review book, Colleges with a Conscience: 81 Great Schools with Outstanding Community Involvement, listed PSU for its excellent service-learning programs that blend academics with community work.
- It was ranked 26th out of 167 universities in the fourth survey of Coolest Schools by Sierra, the award-winning magazine of the Sierra Club.
- A report released by the Association of American Colleges and Universities, “College Learning for the New Global Century,” recognized PSU as a leader in fostering civic, intercultural, and ethical learning.
- It has been awarded a Gold rating by STARS, the Sustainability Tracking Assessment and Rating System, sponsored by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE).
* Next: Oregon State University Profile