Established in 1975, The University of Wales, Newport (Welsh: Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd) is a leading university located in the city of Newport, Wales. It has adopted the name of "University of Wales College, Newport" before being awarded full university status.
The University has four academic schools:
- Newport Business School
- Newport School of Art, Media and Design
- School of Health and Social Sciences
- School of Education
The University was rated top for student satisfaction in Accounting & Finance, and it also holds the ACCA’s Premier Plus quality standard.
Ratings and Ranking Profile:
- Ranked 65th in 2008, 83rd in 2009 and 98th in 2010 (The Complete University Guide).
- According to The Times Good University Guide, it is ranked 78th in 2008, 96th in 2009 and 107th in 2010.
- According to the Guardian University League Table, it is ranked 106th in 2008, 84th in 2009 and 100th in 2010.
- 65th in the Daily Telegraph University Ranking in 2007.
- 88th in The Push League Table 2008.
- The School of Education is the only initial teacher training (ITT) provider in Wales to score a "Grade One" for: caring for, guiding and supporting learners.
- Top in the UK for Learning Resources in all creative art and design subjects in the National Student Survey (2006).
- Newport Business School is ranked top in Wales and joint top in the UK for student satisfaction in Business subjects (NSS 2007).
- Placed top in England and Wales for student satisfaction in the subject of Finance and Accounting, according to the NSS (published in September 2005). It was also rated top in Wales for Assessment and Feedback to students.
- Top in Wales and 4th in the UK for overall satisfaction in Assessment and Feedback to students (NSS 2006).
- 55th out of 132 institutions in the UK and 5th out of 10 in Wales, according to the RAE (Research Assessment Exercise) 2008 rating.
- 1st in Wales for International student satisfaction (International Student Barometer 2007).
* Suggested Reading:
Aberystwyth University Ranking Profile
University of Wales Lampeter - Rankings
World of University Ranking and League Table
In UK there are some university league tables published every year by The Times, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times and The Guardian. In Australia the Good Universities Guide rating is a very useful handbook for anyone choosing a tertiary institution. For more information please see University Ranking by Country.