Following are the best medical colleges offering high quality specialized programs in medicine:
Duke University School of Medicine
- Admissions to Duke is highly competitive. For the class entering September 2009, the School of Medicine received 5,166 applications for 100 slots.
- Triangle residents rated Duke University Medical Center the best-quality hospital in the Durham area, earning Duke a 2009-2010 Consumer Choice Award from the National Research Corporation.
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- It was placed among the three best research-oriented medical schools in the nation by US News 2010.
- The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) has achieved Magnet status from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
University of California-San Francisco
- The UCSF medical school is ranked among the top 10 in all of its clinical specialty programs in the U.S. News Media Group’s 2010 edition of the guidebook “America’s Best Graduate Schools”.
- Consistently ranked among top three US medical schools by NIH dollars awarded.
University of Vermont College of Medicine
- UVM has been ranked in the top five percent of all medical colleges for Primary Care.
- The UVM College of Medicine received over 5700 applications for the 111 students in the Class of 2012 that entered in fall 2008.
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- It has been placed in the top two medical research schools in the nation by US News.
- It has been the nation's best medical college in the amount of competitive research grants awarded by the National Institutes of Health.
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
- It is a professional school within the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Dr. Oliver Smithies, an Excellence professor of pathology and laboratory medicine at the UNC School of Medicine, is a co-recipient of the 2007 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.
OHSU School of Medicine
- Oregon Health & Science University is the state’s only health and research university.
- OHSU's primary care education program is ranked 3rd, rural medicine ranked 4th, family medicine education ranked 8th, and the physician assistant program ranked 9th in the nation (USNWR 2010).
The University of Washington School of Medicine
- It was the 76th medical school in the country, established in 1946.
- It has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the No. 1 school for teaching primary-care physicians.
- It was rated as one of the best medical colleges in receipt of federal researching funding, having been awarded US$573 million in grants by the NIH in fiscal year 2006.
* Best Medical Colleges & Universities in:
World of University Ranking and League Table
In UK there are some university league tables published every year by The Times, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times and The Guardian. In Australia the Good Universities Guide rating is a very useful handbook for anyone choosing a tertiary institution. For more information please see University Ranking by Country.