Following are the top leading Archaeology schools in the UK:
- Ranked as the best Archaeology Department in the UK, with the highest percentage of World Class and Internationally Excellent-rated research (Research Assessment Exercise 2008).
- The Department has won major awards from the AHRC for research into the zooarchaeology of Near Eastern farming origins (with UCL) and the historiography of Hadrian's Wall.
The University of Sheffield
- Sheffield Archaeology has been placed in the top 10 among UK departments in all Research Assessment Exercises (RAE) since 1992 (including RAE 2008).
- The 2001 national review of university teaching rated the Department’s teaching as ‘excellent’ and it has consistently gained top ratings for its research output.
University of Leicester
- Ranked as the best Archaeology department in the Midlands and 9th best nationally out of 45 institutions by The Times (2010).
- In the 2009 National Student Survey 95% of its students were satisfied with the quality of our teaching, resources and facilities.
- Liverpool is an internationally recognised centre for research in Archaeology, Classics and Egyptology. The School has a wide range of resources and facilities that are used for both research and teaching.
- In the RAE 2008 the school was ranked 4th nationally for its proportion of world-class and internationally excellent research in Archaeology (after Durham (1), Reading (2), Oxford and Cambridge (joint 3)).
* Ranking of Archaeology programs (Top 10 list):
Source: Times Good University Guide 2010
* Next: Top Anthropology Schools