The University of Manchester is one of the top perf0rming research universities in the UK. According to the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, 65% of research activity at The University of Manchester is judged to be 'world-leading' (4*) or 'internationally excellent' (3*). The university has submitted research in 53 Units of Assessment, more than any other university in the UK.
RAE 2008 Outcomes:
- The university is ranked 3rd in the nation in the research power ranking, which uses a quality score (grade point average) times the number of full-time equivalent staff submitted.
- The School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences is one of the best for pharmacy research, with 95% of its work classed as internationally significant. 70% of the School’s overall research activity was rated ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’, placing the School 2nd in the nation for research quality.
- The School of Computer Science is a world class centre of excellence, rated 5th and 2nd place for research quality and research power (quality x volume).
- Music at Manchester received the highest rating 6* status in the RAE 2001, and it is placed among the top three music departments in the 2008 RAE results.
- Art History & Visual Studies is rated 4th out of 30 Art History units nationally in terms of both quality of research and the benchmarking of research (Research Fortnight analysis).
- The School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work is placed top of the table for nursing and midwifery research in terms of both quantity and quality of research.
- Manchester Business School is the UK's leading centre for business research, MBS topped the results for research power (quality x volume).
- School of Physics and Astronomy is rated 5th in the UK in its volume of world-leading and internationally excellent research.
- School of Dentistry is rated first in the UK in terms of the quality of its academic research.
- English and American Studies is rated joint 2nd in the UK.
- Its Drama is the second best Drama Department in the country, with 85% of research outputs graded in the top two categories of 4* and 3*.
* Recommended Reading:
Manchester University-World Top 40 Universities
Manchester Online MBA Top Ranking
World of University Ranking and League Table
In UK there are some university league tables published every year by The Times, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times and The Guardian. In Australia the Good Universities Guide rating is a very useful handbook for anyone choosing a tertiary institution. For more information please see University Ranking by Country.