The University of Manchester is one of the top perf0rming research universities in the UK. According to the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, 65% of research activity at The University of Manchester is judged to be 'world-leading' (4*) or 'internationally excellent' (3*). The university has submitted research in 53 Units of Assessment, more than any other university in the UK.
RAE 2008 Outcomes:
- The university is ranked 3rd in the nation in the research power ranking, which uses a quality score (grade point average) times the number of full-time equivalent staff submitted.
- The School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences is one of the best for pharmacy research, with 95% of its work classed as internationally significant. 70% of the School’s overall research activity was rated ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’, placing the School 2nd in the nation for research quality.
- The School of Computer Science is a world class centre of excellence, rated 5th and 2nd place for research quality and research power (quality x volume).
- Music at Manchester received the highest rating 6* status in the RAE 2001, and it is placed among the top three music departments in the 2008 RAE results.
- Art History & Visual Studies is rated 4th out of 30 Art History units nationally in terms of both quality of research and the benchmarking of research (Research Fortnight analysis).
- The School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work is placed top of the table for nursing and midwifery research in terms of both quantity and quality of research.
- Manchester Business School is the UK's leading centre for business research, MBS topped the results for research power (quality x volume).
- School of Physics and Astronomy is rated 5th in the UK in its volume of world-leading and internationally excellent research.
- School of Dentistry is rated first in the UK in terms of the quality of its academic research.
- English and American Studies is rated joint 2nd in the UK.
- Its Drama is the second best Drama Department in the country, with 85% of research outputs graded in the top two categories of 4* and 3*.
* Recommended Reading:
Manchester University-World Top 40 Universities
Manchester Online MBA Top Ranking