Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) is one of the leading universities located in South Yorkshire (England), consistently ranked among the top modern universities in the UK. The university has outstanding reputation as a leader in teaching excellence, awarded the coveted 'excellent' rating for quality of teaching by the Quality Assurance Agency.
The university has four faculties:
- Faculty of Arts, Computing, Engineering and Sciences
- Faculty of Health and Wellbeing
- Faculty of Development and Society
- Sheffield Business School
Ratings and Ranking Profile:
- ranked 78th in 2008, 80th in 2009 and moving up to 68th in the 2010 Complete University Guide.
- 67th in the Guardian University Guide 2010, moving up from 78th in 2009.
- rated highly for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2007, placed 1st for architecture, joint 1st for geography, 2nd for planning and housing studies.
- 1st for international learning experience, living experience and student support services (International Student Barometer, Spring 2007).
- ranked top among all new universities in the Research Assessment Exercise 2001. The Materials and Engineering Research Institute (MERI) received a grade 5 rating.
- 12 subject areas gained the impressive 'Excellent' rating for teaching quality, ie, by the national assessment body.
- 33rd in The Push League Table 2008.
- 78th in the Daily Telegraph University Ranking 2007.
- named top English institution in the Times Higher Education Supplement's 'Access Elite' league table (published in January 2002).
- 68% of research activity was rated at international quality or above in the RAE 2008.
- 6th for research power among all post-1992 universities, showing both quality and volume of research (RAE 2008).
- Top 10 Universities for planning, according to The Times Good University Guide and top 20 in The Guardian University Guide 2010.
- 28th for Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation, Sport and Tourism degree courses (Times 2009).
- 23rd for General Engineering Programs (Times 2008).
* Suggested reading: Top Research Universities in Britain
World of University Ranking and League Table
In UK there are some university league tables published every year by The Times, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times and The Guardian. In Australia the Good Universities Guide rating is a very useful handbook for anyone choosing a tertiary institution. For more information please see University Ranking by Country.