Founded in 1896, The University of Montevallo (UM) is a four-year public university located in the U.S. state of Alabama, recognized as the highest ranked Tier One public master’s level university in Alabama by U.S. News and World Report. It was the first Alabama institution of higher learning to guarantee its teacher-education graduates.
The university is organized into four academic colleges:
- College of Arts and Sciences
- Michael E. Stephens College of Business
- College of Education
- College of Fine Arts
It awards undergraduate and graduate degrees such as the bachelor of arts, bachelor of science, bachelor of business administration, bachelor of fine arts, bachelor of music, master of arts, master of science, master of music, master of education, as well as the educational specialist degree.
The Stephens College of Business offers the Bachelor of Business Administration degree with majors in Accounting, Finance, Management, and Marketing. It is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). This accreditation places the College in the top 25% of all of the business programs in the US.
The College of Education (COE) offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degrees. The programs in the College are nationally accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education (CADE), Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), to name a few.
Montevallo is a member of the prestigious Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges and one of only twenty-five public liberal arts universities in the United States. It is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Placed among the top 20 public master’s-level institutions in the South by U.S. News & World Report, rated the 16th best public university in the South in its division, according to U.S. News’ 2010 edition of “America’s Best Colleges”. It is the top public master’s-level university in Alabama.
- Ranked 2nd in the South in a category called “Great Schools-Great Prices”. In that listing, Montevallo was the highest ranked public school (USNWR 2009). It is placed 19th among public master’s-level schools in the South.
* Suggested Reading: Top Universities in Alabama
World of University Ranking and League Table
In UK there are some university league tables published every year by The Times, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times and The Guardian. In Australia the Good Universities Guide rating is a very useful handbook for anyone choosing a tertiary institution. For more information please see University Ranking by Country.