Following are the top ranking UK universities for Linguistics Degrees:
The University of York
- In the results of the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) released in December 2008, York Linguistics is ranked 2nd in the UK for linguistic research. Two-thirds of its research was judged to be world-leading / internationally excellent; the research environment was judged particularly excellent. Moreover, the University of York is rated one of the UK's top 10 research universities.
- The York department of Language and Linguistic Science has maintained its top 10 place in The Independent's Complete University Guide 2011.
University of Sussex
- The Complete University Guide (2008) has ranked Sussex in second position out of the top 20 UK universities for Linguistics.
- Linguistics and English Language was rated 22 out of 24 in the Teaching Quality Assurance Audit (QAA).
University of Essex
- The Department of Language and Linguistics has an international reputation for its research in Theoretical and Descriptive Linguistics, Psycholinguistics, Sociolinguistics, Applied Linguistics and ELT. In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, it is rated as having the highest proportion of Linguistics research which is “world-leading in terms of originality, significance and rigour” of any university in England.
Queen Mary, University of London
- The University is one of the top five places in the UK to study linguistics, according to The Independent’s Complete University Guide 2011. With an overall score of 95.4 out of 100, Linguistics at Queen Mary is positioned ahead of other leading institutions such as York, Lancaster and Sheffield.
University of Wolverhampton
- The results from the RAE announced on 17 December 2008 confirm the Research Group in Computational Linguistics as one of the top performers in UK research.
- According to the league tables of the Guardian, The Times and Research Fortnight, research in Linguistics at the University of Wolverhampton is one of the top 6 best in the UK.
* Suggested Reading: Top Linguistics Program Ranking in UK
World of University Ranking and League Table
In UK there are some university league tables published every year by The Times, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times and The Guardian. In Australia the Good Universities Guide rating is a very useful handbook for anyone choosing a tertiary institution. For more information please see University Ranking by Country.