Following are the top schools offering Furniture Design Programs:
Northern Michigan University (USA)
- The School of Art and Design offers four-year B.S., B.A. and B.F.A. degrees in Furniture Design.
- The woodworking and furniture design majors concentrate on woodworking process, although students are encouraged to become familiar with the adjacent foundry and smithing facilities. The product design major requires a broad background of classes including Sculpture, Ceramics, Metals, and Woodworking.
- Northern Michigan University is accredited by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth (USA)
- The MFA Artisanry Wood/Furniture Design program seeks to develop highly creative artists and designers. Students are challenged to examine the traditions of furniture and object-making and redefine them in contemporary contexts.
- UMass Dartmouth is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (USA)
- Herron School of Art and Design is part of the larger Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). It offers a range of undergraduate and graduate programs including the Bachelor of Fine Art in Furniture. The Furniture Design curriculum not only covers technical expertise but challenges you to develop your distinctive design aesthetic.
- The U.S. News and World Report 2011 edition of America’s Best Graduate Schools ranks Herron School of Art and Design among the top 50 Master of Fine Art degree programs in the US.
London Metropolitan University (UK)
- It offers the MA Furniture Design program. The course includes seven core modules, live project work and design report development. The program can be completed in 1 year (Full-time) or 2 years (Part-time).
- Successful applicants normally hold an Honours degree within design and have a relevant design portfolio.
- London Metropolitan University is a fully recognised state university in the UK.
Kingston University London (UK)
- It offers the BA(Hons) Product and Furniture Design degree. The curriculum covers design and making skills, materials, manufacturing technology, digital skills and business studies for design.
- Students will interact and engage with the industry throughout their studies.
- Kingston has more applications than any other university in London (UCAS applications digest, snapshot at 30 June 2009).
* Suggested Reading:
Top Schools for Interior Design
Top Sculpture Schools & Programs
World of University Ranking and League Table
In UK there are some university league tables published every year by The Times, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times and The Guardian. In Australia the Good Universities Guide rating is a very useful handbook for anyone choosing a tertiary institution. For more information please see University Ranking by Country.