Best universities offering PhD in Geology degree programs:
Washington State University
- Geology Ph.D. candidates are required to choose an area of specialization. Each specialization outlines required courses and provides additional help to design a program.
- The Geology graduate program offers M.S. and Ph.D. degrees with specializations in: Sedimentology-Stratigraphy; Structural Geology-Tectonics; Mineralogy-Petrology-Geochemistry; Hydrogeology.
West Virginia University
- The Department offers a Ph.D. degree in Geology. It typically requires from three to six years of study.
- Students admitted to the Ph.D. program will have identified a prospective research area and advisor prior to admission.
Arizona State University
- The PhD in Geological Sciences degree allows students the opportunity for expertise in a vast array of research disciplines within the geological sciences field.
- Areas of concentration include: Astrobiology; Cosmochemistry; Geochemistry; Geochronology; Geodynamics; Geomorphology; Geophysics; Geoscience Education; Hydrology; Mineralogy; Mineral physics; etc.
- ASU is one of the best universities in the world, ranked 93rd in the Academic Ranking of World Universities 2008.
Indiana University Bloomington
- It offers the Ph.D. Geology degree. Each aspirant for the Ph.D. degree must pass three distinct examinations: The Preliminary Examination; The Qualifying Examination; The Defense of Dissertation.
- Students admitted to the Ph.D. program are expected to complete an M.S. degree in geological sciences or in an allied science in a timely fashion.
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Norway)
- It offers the PhD in Geology and Mineral Resources Engineering. The research focus areas, to name a few, include: Geology; Engineering geology and rock mechanics; Mineral production and HES.
- The doctoral programme at NTNU is comprised of both course work and a research component.
* Suggested Reading: Top Geosciences Doctoral Programs
World of University Ranking and League Table
In UK there are some university league tables published every year by The Times, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times and The Guardian. In Australia the Good Universities Guide rating is a very useful handbook for anyone choosing a tertiary institution. For more information please see University Ranking by Country.