According to the QS Asian University Rankings 2011, Japanese universities dominated the top 5 ranking for IT & Engineering, with The University of Tokyo rated No. 1 in Asia, ahead of Kyoto University (4th in Asia), and Tokyo Institute of Technology (5th in Asia). A total of 11 universities in Japan are ranked in the Asian top 50 for this subject.
Japanese universities are also ranked highly in the world for Engineering & IT, according to the 2011 QS World University Rankings by Subject:
- The University of Tokyo is ranked 1st in Japan and 8th in the world for Civil & Structural Engineering. Other institutions ranked in the global top 50 for this subject area are: Kyoto University (22nd), and Tokyo Institute of Technology (50th).
- In Chemical Engineering, The University of Tokyo is ranked 21st internationally, ahead of Kyoto University (37th).
- In Electrical Engineering, University of Tokyo is rated 17th in the world, while Kyoto University is in 42nd place.
- The University of Tokyo is ranked 19th best for Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering. Other Japanese institutions listed in the world top 100 for this subject area are Kyoto University and Tokyo Institute of Technology.
* Next: Top Universities in Japan 2011
World of University Ranking and League Table
In UK there are some university league tables published every year by The Times, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times and The Guardian. In Australia the Good Universities Guide rating is a very useful handbook for anyone choosing a tertiary institution. For more information please see University Ranking by Country.