According to the QS Asian University Rankings 2011, Japanese universities dominated the top 5 ranking for IT & Engineering, with The University of Tokyo rated No. 1 in Asia, ahead of Kyoto University (4th in Asia), and Tokyo Institute of Technology (5th in Asia). A total of 11 universities in Japan are ranked in the Asian top 50 for this subject.
Japanese universities are also ranked highly in the world for Engineering & IT, according to the 2011 QS World University Rankings by Subject:
- The University of Tokyo is ranked 1st in Japan and 8th in the world for Civil & Structural Engineering. Other institutions ranked in the global top 50 for this subject area are: Kyoto University (22nd), and Tokyo Institute of Technology (50th).
- In Chemical Engineering, The University of Tokyo is ranked 21st internationally, ahead of Kyoto University (37th).
- In Electrical Engineering, University of Tokyo is rated 17th in the world, while Kyoto University is in 42nd place.
- The University of Tokyo is ranked 19th best for Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering. Other Japanese institutions listed in the world top 100 for this subject area are Kyoto University and Tokyo Institute of Technology.
* Next: Top Universities in Japan 2011