The University of Toronto (U of T) is a top leading public research university located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It was founded by Royal Charter in 1827 as King's College.
The University has the following faculties and schools: Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering; Faculty of Arts and Science; John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design; School of Continuing Studies; Faculty of Dentistry; Ontario Institute for Studies in Education; Faculty of Forestry; School of Global Affairs; School of Graduate Studies; Faculty of Information; Faculty of Law; Rotman School of Management; Faculty of Medicine; Faculty of Music; Faculty of Nursing; Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy; Faculty of Physical Education and Health; Dalla Lana School of Public Health; School of Public Policy and Governance; Faculty of Social Work.
- The Faculty of Law was named the top law school in Canada by Maclean's for the third consecutive year ("Ranking Canada’s law schools" 2009).
- 11th globally in the ranking that measures the performance of scientific papers for world universities, compiled by the Higher Education Evaluation and Accreditation Council of Taiwan (HEEACT) in 2009. In addition U of T ranked 6th in clinical medicine, 14th in life sciences, 16th in social sciences, 24th overall in agriculture, 26th in engineering and 34th in natural sciences.
- 1st in the medical/doctoral category in Research Infosource Inc. rankings (2009).
- According to the Times Higher Education Supplement 2008, the University of Toronto is one of only five universities world-wide ranked in the top 16 for all fields.
- 21st globally in engineering and computer science, 27th in medicine, 34th in natural science and mathematics, 48th in life and agricultural sciences, and 51–76th in social science (ARWU 2008).
- 18th internationally in the Newsweek global university ranking 2006.
- Rated as the top medical-doctoral university in Maclean's magazine for twelve consecutive years (1994-2005).
* Suggested Reading: U of T Engineering Top Rankings
World of University Ranking and League Table
In UK there are some university league tables published every year by The Times, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Times and The Guardian. In Australia the Good Universities Guide rating is a very useful handbook for anyone choosing a tertiary institution. For more information please see University Ranking by Country.