Top universities offering the PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) courses:
University of Cambridge
- The Faculty of Education offers PGCE courses to individuals wishing to train to teach in early years and primary, or secondary schools.
- The first year of the Cambridge PGCE can count as the first year of the part-time Master of Education (MEd) at Cambridge.
- The Faculty is a Category A provider in Primary and Secondary education and has been rated as the best teacher training provider by the Good Teacher Training Guide.
University of Exeter
- The Graduate School of Education is rated as 'outstanding' for its provision of both Primary and Secondary Initial Teacher Education (ITE). This rating by the 'Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills' (Ofsted) is the highest possible inspection grade and maintains the School's position as a flagship provider of teacher training.
- The strength of the PGCE Programmes is due in a large part to the School's ongoing research activities. The Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2008 ranked the School 5th in the UK for world leading and internationally excellent research.
University of Oxford
- The PGCE at Oxford is assessed as an M level course (in line with the National Qualifications Framework for Higher Education). For entry to the PGCE course applicants must have a degree awarded by a UK university or other institution empowered to make such awards, or recognised equivalent qualifications.
- Oxford PGCE was awarded the highest grades in all categories for every subject and for management and quality assurance in the OFSTED inspection.
King's College London
- The King's PGCE programme is the initial teacher education route to becoming a qualified teacher in secondary schools.
- Ofsted have graded the KCL Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) with a Grade 1 'outstanding'.
- KCL has outstanding reputation for providing world-class teaching and cutting-edge research. In the RAE 2008, 23 departments were ranked in the top quartile of British universities. The College is in the top 7 UK universities for research earnings and has an overall annual income of nearly £450 million.
* Suggested Reading:
Top Schools for Special Education
American Best Education Programs
Distance Learning Education Degree